Monday, August 13, 2012

{Grieving God's Way}



Grief. We have all felt it in some way or another. Maybe it's grief over losing a loved one or a beloved family pet. Maybe it's grief over losing a friendship or a job. I have felt many different stages of grief. I have lost family members and pets. When I was 6 months pregnant with Ducky (who is now 2 years old), my chihuahua had to be put down due to kidney failure. I thought I would cry my eyes out. Recently though, I lost a baby at 12 weeks gestation. I was so devastated. I cried out to God many nights asking Him why He took my baby. The fact of the matter is, my baby wasn't really mine in the first place. We are all His children. I am grateful to have had baby Kendall for the short time that we did. I still grieve for my baby, but I find it easier now then when it first happened. I clung to my Bible during those horrible weeks that followed. I prayed like my life depended on it. I got through it (and still am struggling on some days). I also found a book that has helped me tremendously. It is a 90-day devotional called Grieving God's Way by Margaret Brownley.

In her book, Margaret shares her personal stories from her own life. She helps to lead us in a different direction with our grief. There actually is a Godly way to grieve. God designed our bodies, so He would know how to help us in the grieving process. This book has given me hope. It has also helped me to heal my broken heart. Even though I still have bad days, I know that this is just temporary. I know there is a purpose and a plan for everything that I go through in this life.

This devotional is broken up into 4 parts. They are: Healing the Grieving Body, Healing the Grieving Soul, Healing the Grieving Heart, and Healing the Grieving Spirit. The grieving process can be so hard on the body, mind, and soul. Margaret Brownley gives us insight into what God says about going through this process. Each of the days of the devotional includes a scripture that goes along with the personal story and/or advice. Diantha Ain also wrote a haiku for each day. At the end of each of the devotionals is a section to take action or a story from a famous person which also includes another scripture.

I really enjoyed this devotional and would recommend it to anyone who has lost a loved one or anything that causes you to grieve.

Blessings,


Kristy

*I was given this book in exchange for my personal review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: