Tuesday, May 22, 2012

{As One Devil To Another}



"A fiendish correspondence in the tradition of C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters." Richard Platt has brilliantly written a book from the perspective of demons.  The two "devils" are Slashreap (the senior devil) and his protege Scardagger. Scardagger has just graduated top of his class from Temptation University. Slashreap is assigned to him because he excelled in all of his courses such as "casting of doubt", "inflammation of vanity", "erosion of values", "destruction of conscience", "dissolution of goodwill", "inculcation of egocentricity", and "formation of spiritual pride". Have you ever felt any of these qualities in your own life? I know I have and this book gave me a different perspective about these subjects. I already knew there were "other forces" in the spiritual realm that influenced how we feel and what we think. As One Devil To Another actually gave me chills a few times.

The book is a series of letters written back and forth between Slashreap and Scardagger. As we know, this book is fiction. But please prayerfully consider reading it as the concept is real. There are real "spiritual" dangers out there. Scardagger has been chosen to win a soul away from Heaven. The woman chosen is a postgraduate in the English department of a great university. The come up with different ways to get to her soul. Should they allow her the move up the "corporate" ladder but not have other things in life or should they not give her advances in her career?

The story is gripping and kept me reading. It definitely shows that how powerful prayer is in a Christian's life. The book allowed me to realize the purpose of suffering and that is to be closer to God and rely on Him. I have recently gone through a terrible loss and suffered terrible for it. I have been battling depression and anger. I read my Bible but reading this book in the way it is written really put my suffering into perspective. I would recommend this book to any mature Christian. It is not for the faint of heart. I prayed a lot while reading As One Devil To Another for the purpose of cleansing my mind from thinking about all the bad things in the world. I truly believe that this will become a classic just as The Screwtape Letters.


Blessings,

Kristy

*This book was given to me in exchange for my personal review. All opinions expressed here are solely my own.*

No comments: